The Loughery family has been farming in the Roe Valley for generations and the family farm at Drumagosker still provides quality beef to this day.
In the late 1940’s, John Loughery, who had inherited the farm from his Uncle John, purchased this small holding from the Lynd family. Dr Lynd had been the local family practitioner with his practice located on the Main Street, Limavady.
In 1953 John married Mary Ritchie who had worked as a telephonist for the General Post Office (GPO) in Enniskillen & Coleraine and had volunteered to work in central London during the Second World War. Following their marriage, Mary left her post (as was the custom in those days) to become a farmer’s wife & they used her severance pay from the GPO to help pay off the bank loan.
After 30 years working the main farm just across the road, John & Mary retired to Mount Fair House in 1983 where they enjoyed many years refurbishing the original dwelling (built in 1810) and developing the gardens & adjoining grounds.